Leading causes of residential fires in Oakland and how to prevent them
When you own a home, there are a wide range of threats to think about. Fire is foremost among them, as it can occur in any place and at any time. The U.S. Fire Administration estimated a stunning $8.9 billion in property damage throughout the United States due to residential fires in 2021. Also during this year, there were in excess of 350,000 recorded incidents. Thankfully, there are actions you can take to keep them from happening|. Take a look at the causes and how to prevent house fires in Oakland.
What sparks residential fires in Oakland?
Fires can begin anywhere and without warning, whether caused by a smoldering cigarette in a waste container or a neglected stovetop. Here are the most common causes of residential fires.
- Cooking: Flare-ups in the kitchen are the most common types of residential fires in Oakland and all other areas. Ignored stovetops are the primary culprit, so always watch that hot skillet when cooking. It’s also worth nothing that dumping water on a grease fire will only make things worse.
- Heating: Space heaters are a well-known cause of residential fires. Operating them for too long may cause internal parts to break down and ignite. Damaged cords and placing heaters by combustible objects like blankets or curtains can also lead to devastating results. Other heating devices, such as HVAC systems and fireplaces, may cause fires and should be checked regularly.
- Electrical: Outdated wiring, defective outlets, and overwhelmed extension cords are a few of the ways electrical complications result in fires. Don’t use an appliance with a frayed cord, and make certain combustible materials like paper aren’t put on top of a lampshade, get it checked out immediately.
- Candles: Wherever there's a flame, there's the potential for fire. Residential fires from candles are still commonplace and often result from carelessness. Situating them within a pet’s domain or near combustible objects will lead to disaster.
- Smoking: Even with the overall decline in smoking nationwide, it’s still an undeniable fire hazard. The U.S. Fire Administration approximated that 7,800 residential fires were a result of smoking in 2021. Dozing off with a cigarette in hand or prematurely discarding smoldering ashes can give rise to destructive results.
The primary way to prevent house fires in Oakland is to be careful at all times. Always watch closely when cooking, don’t leave a candle burning, and properly dispose of cigarettes. If you must run a space heater, do so in short intervals and get one that has an automatic shut-off safety precaution in the event it is knocked over.
Get help quickly with a monitored fire alarm in Oakland
You ought to have smoke detectors on each floor and more by bedrooms. But you can take your protection to another level with a monitored fire alarm. These modern safety devices will not only recognize smoke but can also be triggered due to extreme heat. Additionally, because they incorporate into your modern smart home, they’ll notify you and your monitoring professionals whenever an emergency takes place. This is a worthwhile perk, especially when you’re not there to hear the alarm and contact the fire department.
Defend against various threats with a Vivint smart home in Oakland
Elevate the protection of your residence today with a Vivint smart home. You can personalize our systems with monitored fire alarms, CO detectors, and flood sensors. You’ll be thankful for the instant notifications to your cell phone and the 24-hour support that you enjoy with professional monitoring. Contact (510) 281-3999 to speak with a skilled Vivint professional.