Leading safety tips for new homeowners in Oakland
If you recently acquired your first home or you’re nearing the closing date, congratulations! It’s a thrilling time for you and yours. You might be considering all the ways you can personalize your residence with furnishings, paint, and decor. But, before you get too caught up in home improvements, make certain you consider home security as well. Keeping the ones you care about protected should always be a primary emphasis, and we’ll show you how with our safety tips for new homeowners in Oakland.
Conduct a safety check of your new Oakland property
Now that safety is top of mind, discover what your new home has in terms of protection. First, make certain you have functioning smoke detectors. Try every one and change batteries if necessary. Are CO detectors in the house? Do you need a water sensor in your basement? This is also an excellent time to update door locks and inspect all window locks. Go room-by-room and get to know your property.
Smart security tips for your Oakland home
Once you’ve done your initial investigation of safety alarms and locks, you can look into elevating your property’s defense. Begin with these security tips for your home in Oakland.
- Install a modern home security system. One of the smartest things a new homeowner in Oakland can do is install a home security system. Modern wireless advancements let you keep tabs on your property even when you’re at the office or on vacation. You may scan up-to-the-second video feeds, engage entry locks, and even communicate with people on your front steps directly from your mobile device. You can even personalize your defense with worthwhile security features such as video surveillance and monitored fire alarms.
- Update outdoor lights. Outside lights with motion detection are an effective way to discourage potential burglars. You can even use them in conjunction with surveillance cameras. The activating of a motion sensor can signal your outdoor camera to begin recording.
- Take care of your yard. Are you able to see all of your property from the interior? Are there overgrown trees and bushes obstructing your view? Remove possible places to hide by keeping your yard well groomed. Your neighbors will be appreciative of it as well.
- Get to know others on your street. One more thing about your neighbors, get acquainted with them. If you know people nearby, they’ll be more inclined to advise you if they discern suspicious behavior. You might also connect to your neighborhood’s social media group if one is established.
- Benefit from home automation. If you opt for a modern smart home, you can make it seem like you’re inside by activating smart light bulbs at scheduled times. This is a nice tool when you’re at work or on vacation.